Saturday, May 05, 2007

Is it a boy thing?

I had a very bad meeting at work on Thursday, where the people on the other side were quite mean and agressive. When I told my friend Sarah about it, she said, "I hate men. I bet if they were women they wouldn't have been like that"

She does have a point. There are a few scary women I know who do behave like that, but apart from those tiresomely "alpha female" examples, it is primarily a male technique.

The annoying thing is that you don't need to be belittling and agressive to get your point across. It's like when you're complaining about something in a shop. If you're nice and reasonable but firm, you get much further than if you get cross and shout at people. If the men in that meeting had been nicer to me, then I might have been able to give them all the answers rather than get flustered and shuffle papers about unconvincingly. But at least I didn't cry.

>>>

We had dinner at Blah Blah Blah (veggie restaurant in Shepherd's Bush) last night. It's BYO, so I had a glass or two of wine...

They have those paper table cloths that you can write on. I seem to recall explaining musical notation through a series of increasingly wobbly staves after a few glasses. How edifying that must have been for the rest of the table.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Author said...

It's soooo a man thing - Men want to fight all the time, and it doesn't come out anywhere more than in the boardroom. Women,. on the other hand just want peace and harmony and for everybody just to get along without hurting everyone's feelings. I hope that doesn't sound too generalised and hurt anyon'es feelings - oops there I go again being womanly and wanting everyone to be happy!!!

11:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home