Monday, April 30, 2007

Dull, dull, dull and weddings

Have been working lots (dull). But also went to a wedding at the weekend (hooray). It was in the Lake District, which let me tell you is an awful long way to go for a weekend. Luckily there was no traffic as everyone was in Kent looking at broken chimneypots. The lake district is always quite surprisingly beautiful. In that you kind of knew it was so, but it still takes your breath away.

I have a minor gripe, though. I know: what's new? But anyway. It was probably the most expensive wedding I have ever been to. (I mean expensive for the guest, not for the parents.)

It ended up costing around £700, once you'd factored in hotel, gift, petrol and alcohol (i.e. excluding hair. If you'd seen the state of my roots, you'd agree that this comes under "necessary expenditure". Oh, and excluding outfits, which were admittedly unecessary.)

But now I sound (a) a bit poncy "la la la I spent £700 on a weekend aren't I super-fancy" and (b) miserly-spend-money-on-wedding-grouch-begrudgement. Sigh. I am not looking for sympathy. But surely the price must have put the weekend beyond the financial reach of some would-be guests? I mean, £700 would not be a particularly tight budget for your average summer holiday, rather than just two days away.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't get me started on weddings that cost everyone going the GDP of a small African nation to attend. I suppose you had to buy a present as well? Just say no.

What's wrong with the bloody register office if you have to get married?

8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home