Sunday, February 18, 2007

Fish japes

I made nice fishcakes today. I don't like fishcakes from the shops as they are always too salty. But (if I do say so myself), my fishcakes were rather tasty, and relatively salt-free.

The first sort, which looked all neat and tidy, were made with haddock.

The second sort, which were all sloppy and therefore ended up a bit splatty in the frying pan, were made with crab and chilli. Splatty appearance, but rather tasty.

The crab came from a frozen fish wholesalers which is on an industrial estate near my house. The fish place is pretty cool, in both senses. There is a big wall of glass-fronted freezers full of the usuals (prawns, scallops etc) and exotica such as soft shell crabs, razor clams and freaky giant prawns that look like they may have escaped from sellafield.

Then, if you're looking for something a bit bigger, there is a giant walk-in freezer... This is very exciting. It is lined with deep plastic trays, each full of big shiny ice-coated slabs of fish. And some big frozen salmon, that you could use as cricket bats. I picked one up and waved it about by the tail (as you do). Of course, when I went to pay, I realised that behind the counter they have a cctv screen showing what's going on inside the walk-in freezer. Ahem. They don't appear to have barred me for misuse of fishy products yet, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home