Sunday, February 25, 2007

Put it away!

I have been in Birmingham this weekend, doing the panto thing again. It rained the entire time we were there, except for a spell on Saturday when I went out for a run and it obligingly stopped.

I am troubled by the apparent lack of moral fibre of the good people of Birmingham:
  • The theatre was next door to an adult shop (no particular problem with that) which had a sign advertising the availability of "private booths". Is it me, or is that a bit EEEUUUURRGH?
  • The hotel (a pretty smart one) was opposite a lap dancing club. In fact, a couple of lap dancing clubs. Perhaps we were in the seedy end of town? But no!...
  • I went out for a drink with a group of people from the Birmingham office on Friday night. One of the lads proudly boasted about being such a regular at lapdancing establishments in the town that he was known by name at them all (and in fact had platinum membership to the club near to the hotel). The others then chimed in and said that the team regularly went out to lapdancing clubs, and sometimes even the girls from the office came along too.

Therefore I must conclude that Birmingham is a city peopled by gyrating ladies and dribbling men. What a strange place.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what exactly do you do in a private booth? If you take in material that the shop is selling are you expected to purchase it after you have looked at it in your private booth? My mind is boggling slightly. Gross.

As far as lap dancing clubs go, personally I think there is something really wrong with a society that thinks it is perfectly acceptable to spend your free time ogling at naked woman.

I am not a prude or particularly feminist. I just think we live in a world where violence against women is rife, and where sex is used as a weapon by both genders. Nornmalising this type of behaviour perpetuates the steriotype that women should have a particular place in society - as a sexual object for the gratifcation of men.

I also don't fall for the argument 'oh but the girls want to do it, they earn so much more money than if they were in an office job. Anyway, why shouldn't they show off thier bodies if they want'

Rubbish. Lap dancers perpetuate an attitude that repressed women from rising to earn equal pay. Their selfish actions damage what other hardworking women are fighting to prove - that women are just as intelligent, hardworking and capable as men. It's quite hard to prove how brainy you are while you are naked and gyrating around a greasy pole.

Frankly it makes me sad.

By the way, are you coming to visit me soon?

1:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to know what happened to Bingo and other such worthy evening entertainments. Much more exciting (cash! money! winning stuff!), and I'm sure no-one would bat an eyelid if you decided to do it in a bikini. Eyes down for a full house :o)

E x

1:31 pm  
Blogger The Author said...

Men becoming regulars in lap-dancing clubs is a bit ...well...silly, really. I've been to see male strippers, but only once, and I took my Mum with me. It was a laugh - but i'd never want to do it again. I think I have more important things to do with my time. Maybe it just highlights once again the many differences between the two sexes. I don't mean to generalise, but on the whole men are more visually excited (!). For women it tends to be more cerebral. If they had poetry reading booths where a nice chap with a voice like Ralph Fiennes read out Shakespeare's love sonnets I would go there every week!!!

4:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home