Thursday, February 21, 2008

When you're tired of Derby, you're tired of....

... late night misery (in my experience).

I'm staying in a serviced apartment at the moment. Last night, at 2am, the land line in the apartment rang.

It was a man shouting "you're a fookin' grass" in a strong local accent. I presume he had the wrong number (since I don't think I've grassed anyone up recently - well, certainly nobody northern at any rate. And in any event, who would know what my phone number is here? ), although given that he'd just woken me up, I lacked the presence of mind to ask him who he thought he had called.

This was most disconcerting, though. I unplugged the phone by my bed, only to then discover, when it started ringing, that there was another phone somewhere else in the flat (which I wasn't about to get out of bed and go looking for). Fortunately after three calls he gave up. Maybe he realised he'd dialled the wrong number. I bet he felt a bit stupid then. Yeah.

This is the second similar incident since I've been here (ok, so that's four months now, but even so it's a pretty high rate of late night disturbance). The first incident was someone repeatedly buzzing the intercom to the flat to be let in at 1am one night in December.

They're weird up here, you know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh there are plenty of weirdos about... We had a heavy breather the other night who clearly thought he'd hit the motherlode when I answered. I got Stu to answer when he rang back (which he did, repeatedly) and he made lots of anatomical suggestions that Stu was not fully prepared to contend with in the early hours of a Sunday morning. We got BT to look up the number (which was withheld, obviously) and then shopped him to the local constabulary. Not sure if they'll do anything but it made us feel better :o)

Mum's comment: 'There's more out than in.' Quite.

3:34 pm  
Blogger The Author said...

The flat that you're staying in has obviously been inhabited by a small time drug dealer in the past. I would purchase a few bottles of aspirin and then ask them if they're interested in that the next time they call :)

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home