Friday, October 26, 2007

Testing of Krispy Kreme Formula v.1.0

Further to Rachel's refinement of the Krispy Kreme formula...

calories burned x injury coefficient x terrain coefficient
...I am undertaking testing based upon my two most recent outings:

(i) Test One - Mountain biking - 40km

Per my Garmin, calories burnt = 1,563
Injuries = none
Terrain = muddy track, slippery leaf-strewn paths for c. 70% of the route. Tarmac for the rest.

1,563 x 1 x (1.9 x 70% + 1.0 x 30%)

= 2,597 calories

= 13 regular glazed ring doughnuts or 7.4 filled doughnuts


(ii) Test Two - Orienteering - 12km

Calories burnt = 793
Injuries = gorse splinters, two large blisters (presumably I would be allowed to count both injury scores? That would be 1.5 for the blisters and 2.4 for the splinters)
Terrain = sandy paths, heath, woodland (I would equate this to tufty grass, 1.3)

793 x 3.9 x 1.3

= 4,021 calories

= 20 glazed ring or 11 filled

My initial thoughts are that these numbers are coming out a little high. I am also concerned about the efficacy of the Garmin for measuring calorific output. It felt like much harder work running 12k than it did cycling 40k. Perhaps further refinement is required...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm. I agree absolutely. 13 doughnuts would be excessive.

I suggest a full overhaul of the coeffiecent tables to adjust the final doughnut figure. I also think that only one injury per session can be allowed - the worst one taking precedent.

It would be interesting to compare the RKK formula to the JKK formula. can you estimate the mass of mud gathered on your last cycle ride?

7:58 am  
Blogger The Author said...

Oh Go On - if you want 13 doughnuts - just have 13 doughnuts - I would!!! You can offset it by just eating beans on brown toast the next day for lunch and then some steamed fish for supper (or not if you prefer). When you get to my (doddery old gimmer) age - you realise that if you pop from a size 10 to a size 12 - just go and buy some more trousers. I actively seek out fat people whilst wandering round town, and looking at them makes me feel so much slimmer...yaaaaaay!!! Besides a few extra pounds fills out the wrinkles!!!!

5:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home