Monday, September 25, 2006

Busy weekend part two (Saturday - the Queen)

Pussycat, pussycat, where have you been? Well, funny you should ask. I've been up to the Odeon on Kensington High Street to see the Queen. That is, Helen Mirren playing a rather taller and slimmer version of Her Maj, in the days following the death of Princess Diana.

Surprisingly excellent film. I'm not even much of a one for the royals, but it is fascinating to look back at a time when Tony Blair was young, dark-haired and enormously popular with the public and (particularly) the press. As the Queen says to Blair at one point in the film: "One day, they'll turn on you. Just as quickly, and without warning." Not particularly subtle, I agree, but effective nonetheless.

It's also rather remarkable to look back at the outpouring of public grief that occurred, which sort of passed me by at the time. I still can't quite understand what happened to everyone. Even apparently sane and normal people of my acquaintance went and laid flowers. Most perplexing.

Also saw a trailer for some kind of 9/11 film starring Nicholas Cage. I can't begin to convey how utterly dreadful it looks - from the uber-serious Cage working the "I know what's coming next" angle with every serious look, meaningful exchange with his family, and potentious statements to his crew in the opening scenes, to the "THE WORLD SAW EVIL THAT DAY" headline across the screen. Perhaps the trailer is doing it a disservice. But I don't think I'll be spending my £9 to find out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Beanie! As your big sister, I should probably remind you that Princess Diana kicked the bucket on your 21st birthday, which if you ask me is the height of poor planning. I mean, really.

Good work on the cocktails. Please have one for me - one with the most preposterous name you can find :o) I have in the past been forced to order a slow comfortable screw or two so will be satisfied if you swap the 'vaguely obscene' for the 'downright silly'. I'll leave it to your judgement.

By the by, how much hair did Nicolas Cage have? Why does noone ever mention his hair transplant?? I find it most distracting!

11:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home