Tuesday, September 19, 2006

More from the man in the 'stan

Have had further updates from the 'stan - on remarkably similar themes to last time:

This weekend saw another meeting of the Friday curry club, as usual ate too much. For the first time since I have been here was not very well. [editor's note: apart from that time with the Russian vodka, eh?] Saturday was spent feeling sorry for myself, but I fought on and by the evening was able to go out til 4 in the morning.

After leaving the nightclub, Gavin and I caught a taxi back home. I was the first to be dropped off, and Gavin was a little impressed because:
1) I actually knew where I was going and how to get to my house; and
2) This was proved by me sitting in the back seat giving the driver directions:

pryama, pryama naprava, nyet naprava, pryama pryama, nalyeva, da, astana vityes.

[Translation: straight on, straight on, no right (at this point the taxi wanted to go left down a dual carriage way in completly the wrong direction and the nyet had to be repeated several times getting louder with hand signals as well, resulting in the taxi stopping on the main junction, reversing and setting off to the right - the driving here is a little erratic), more straight on then a left and hey presto we are at my house, finishing off my Russian with a "stop here".

The weather here has taken a dramatic turn: it is dark, raining and chilly - one of those miserable wet days when you should be at home in front of TV watching films and thinking of what casserole to make.

Had to put a sweatshirt on the other day as it was down to 19 degrees. It's surprising how the body gets used to the hot weather. I think i am in for a shock when i return - the igloo is going to take a little getting used to.

[actually, I had an update from him on the phone this morning - the temperature finally dropped to 13 degrees yesterday (brrr.....) but is back at 27 degrees today]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home