Saturday, January 03, 2009

Fourth century sanskrit and Sleeping Beauty

So I spent this morning recording music written by a friend of mine for a new adaptation of the fourth century Indian tale, The Recognition of Sakuntala, which is on at the Union Theatre at the end of the month.

What I heard of the music was fantastic, although it was only me there - the other instruments will be added later - so it's hard to get the full sense of what it will be like.  Lots of cor anglais stuff, which would have been delicious in the hands of a more competent player...  Although I believe with the wonders of modern technology they can move around the actual notes I played until they are in tune.  Isn't that lovely? 

Anyway, I am hoping to go along to see the play and will fight the urge to leap up and shout "That's me!  That's me!" every time the music comes on.  Of course, if it all sounds farty and horrible then I'll keep my head down.

From the sublime to the (intentionally) ridiculous, tomorrow:  panto rehearsal.  Which means I'll have that damn Take That song stuck in my head for the rest of the week.  Aargh!

This year is Sleeping Beauty.  Typical aggravating plot:  the hero arrives to woo her because he's heard that she is beautiful; she gets to marry him because he's rich.  That'll do a lot for the bloody celebrity-obsessed WAG-aspiring young girls in the audience, won't it?  

I appreciate that it would be a little far-fetched for him to rock up for her engaging and intellectual conversation, but it wouldn't hurt if her reputation was for, say, kindness or generosity or something, would it?  Bah!  Still, despite him courting her with his unfeasibly gorgeous eyelashes and sweet rendition of aforementioned song, he's [shhhhhh!!] not really into princesses (beautiful or otherwise).  So it will all end in tears when he dumps her for the next handsome prince that comes riding up...  Don't tell the kiddies, though.  It would break five hundred pre-pubescent hearts in a single stroke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home