Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Three discoveries

The charming town of Feltham has been extensively redeveloped over the last year or so (see Wiki commentary on the subject, or possibly the developer's site if you are sitting somewhere that snorts of laughter would not get you in trouble).

The "anchor tenant", after M&S, Waitrose/John Lewis, Sainsbury's, Tesco all failed to bite the developer's hand off, is a large 24hr Asda.

Discovery #1: After a number of totally futile expeditions to the Asda store (I know Walmart is the devil's own grocery store, but going there saves getting in the car - swings and roundabouts, you see?), during which I formed the impression that it ONLY catered to the Wotsits-n-Sunny-D market, I have now discovered that it stocks the following:
  • Pumpkins (labelled as "culinary pumpkins" to avoid seasonal confusion with the "scary" sort)
  • Rice wine vinegar (hurrah!) and other Japanese products
  • An extensive range of imported Irish goods (Barry's tea, top-o-the-mornin jam, etc)

Discovery #2: Up until yesterday, this was the only retail development in the entire UK (I reckon, anyway) that did NOT have some kind of Starbucks/Costa/Nero. I did not think of this as a particularly bad thing, mind you - more of a social indicator. But no more: we now have "BBs" (nope, I've never heard of it either).

Discovery #3: Special K appears to now be sharing a production line with Frosties. In its naked form (i.e. without milk), it is now tooth-bendingly sweet. I had not noticed this before since I normally only eat it with milk. But last night I ate it out of the packet as I walked home from the supermarket...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get really sad when I see that you have no comments so I feel duty bound to write something.

I don't think that I was fullsome enough in my praise of your tremeandous effort in the 10k run. Gerd jarb!

Why aren't you eating pieces of cardboard for breakfast like you're meant to?

Mother xxxx

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home