Thursday, September 28, 2006

Grubistan

Email just in from Uzbekistan:

This week is like ticking off my last meals...
Monday was tasty soup (the lumps of meat in it very tasty, but had to nibble round the gristle though) followed by mante (savoury dumplings) with a dollop of yoghurt and chilli paste and the obligatory "non" (bread) all the princely sum of 1300 som (75p)


Tuesday
Meal at posh restaurant. The place is called SNOBBS and yes it lives up to its name - at the weekends all the Uzbek bling is on show!! Very nice meal, mushroom soup, and pork cutlet in sauce and rice. Cost: Everol paid as I am going to give him the chlorine i bought for the pool and obviously have not used.


Wednesday
To the local place near the office: "BEEBEEGUN". I had my usual Iskander (Balshoy:- large) this is like kebab meat on small lumps of bread topped with spicy tomato sauce, a small lake of yoghurt, and rice, all this accompanied with my cucumber, tomato and onion salad, 4500 som (£2.25) including 1 beer.


Thursday
Not sure yet - will update. Think I am meeting Everol for lunch.


Friday
My favourite place "POLLYANCHA" (the spelling of that is close). I will have Samsa: small savoury pastry parcels (mini cornish pasties), Borsch (chuchu:- small, i.e. half a bowl) this is the beetroot soup topped with cream but tastes savoury and herby - mostly dill. Then I will have plov or the lagman. Plov you know
[ed: this is Uzbek pilaf - i.e. meat on rice] and the lagman is a spicy soup with thick noodles and veg and meat. It will be washed down with a couple of beers, and will cost about 2500 som (£1.25) and I will feel absolutely stuffed!!!

Saturday
Dodgy aeroplane food. Fingers crossed. And not sure what to have sat. night.
[ed: actually, will probably be up to me, and I'm not sure either. Probably toast and marmite]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home