Friday, September 29, 2006

Birthday quarter

To celebrate my birthday quarter drawing to a close (for future reference, my birthday quarter spans July to September), I treated myself to two new dvds from Amazon:

Middlemarch (BBC version - another 5 hour epic to enjoy on "poorly days", when I've already watched P&P)

and

Mansfield Park

You will note from the reviews of Mansfield Park that everybody who bought it hated it. I, however, quite like it. And mostly BECAUSE it is not faithful to Jane Austen's original. In the book, Fanny Price is the most dreary, mousy and annoyingly wholesome heroine you can imagine. Naturally this won't do for a film, where she becomes witty, modern, feisty, feminist and not a little capricious. Oh, and is on the receiving end of a bit of lesbo fondling too, just as Austen captures in her own charming style in Chapter.... oh? She doesn't?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Author said...

oooh I do that - treat myself with things I mean!!! But I don't wait for Birthday quarters - I do it all through the year!!! It's amazing how cheery a little treat can make me!! it can be a new nail varnish, or a (and how sad is this) a special air fragrance spray from "The Pier". It gives me a little internal hug - because it's something just for me!!!

6:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home