Sunday, May 20, 2007

Further running adventures

This morning I ran the Staines 10k. It was gloriously sunny, although that now seems to have passed and the sky has become largely grey, with odd scraps of blue. Slightly more than would be required for a pair of sailor's trousers, but by no means enough for a whole regiment (I'm not sure that sailors hang about in regiments, though. What IS the right word?)

This is a great shame. For as much as it was lovely to be strolling about and warming up in the sunshine, running in it doesn't really allow you to make the best of the weather, since you spend your time wiping sweat from your hairline and worrying about whether your mouth is developing that sticky white goo in the corners that old men get when talking enthusiastically.

Anyway. I used my groovy little sat-nav running watch (a prime example of spending money in lieu of actually getting off arse - equivalent to those people who purchase expensive gym membership in the hope that it is the amount of cash rather than effort expended that counts) to set a nice race pace. This helps with avoiding SUPER-KEEN-START: full of fresh-air, beautiful-morning, look-at-my-lycra enthusiasm, you set off at a cracking and leg-jellying pace before realising, ten minutes in, that you can't keep it up.

In reality, I've never been much of a one for super-keen-starts. Glenn always takes off like the bunny at the dog track before realising that he doesn't really fit in with that pack of elongated string-and-gristle types around the half-way mark. But it was still handy to have the "virtual runner" pacing alongside me (on the tiny screen, at least) showing me the way. Of course, the virtual runner doesn't get slowed down by hills, corners, bunching up of runners etc, so you have to stay a step or two ahead of him just to be sure of getting the desired time.

I am very pleased with this morning's effort because, despite having done almost no running since getting back from Australia, I beat the 10k time I set in Melbourne (59:13), by - ooh - 30 seconds or so. But this did mean that I broke 59 minutes for the first time. According to my own timing, I came in at 58:42, but I shall have to wait and view the official course time online later...

Right, Glenn's just woken up from his post-race nap, so it's time to go out and Make The Best of The Day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats fantastic Jane - well done!

I know the feeling of wanting to buy things in lieu of doing excerise. I have managed to stop myself from buying anything running related, and have so far completed 3 training session quite successfully using equpiment/clothing I already owned.

I have yet to experince the euphoria that some runner claim to experience. I don't like it at all. I do like the smug feeling aftwards though, once the red face and sweating has stopped.

11:06 am  
Blogger OboeJane said...

No, I don't get running euphoria either. Wouldn't it be nice?

Instead, I replicate the feeling with CAKE EUPHORIA.

9:12 am  
Blogger The Author said...

I don't get the euphoria either, just the red hot sweaty horridness!!! Mind you after I've showered I do feel rather smug!!! ....and clean!!!

9:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home