Monday, December 11, 2006

Wuthering frets

Do my cultural adventures never cease? This Sunday - and a quick digression already: I have really bought into the idea of going out on Sunday nights. It takes away that "all downhill from here" feeling that sets in around Sunday lunchtime. But anyway, on with the story - I went to the Drill Hall (cool alternative venue off Tottenham Court Road) to see the unique and wonderful Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

I am assuming that you (just like me 12 months ago) are unfamiliar with this splendidly clever but totally ridiculous musical comedy ensemble. I first encountered them on an album of bizarre cover versions that I bought as a present for my sister, who is an appreciator of both the sublime and the ridiculous in equal measure. The album included such classics as Walk this way performed by Hayseed Dixie, Beat It by Senor Coconut, and the Ukelele Orchestra covering Miss Dynamiteeeee.

Following my enthusiasm for that particular track, which I guess I must have inflicted on people a bit too often, Mick then went and got me the Uke Orchestra's album The Secret of Life for my birthday. And then, to cap the globe, my parents spotted last night's gig and arranged some tickets.

The highlights for me were probably Smells like teen spirit, by Nirvana (complete with headbanging and plucking of strings with teeth) and the club-singer-style version of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. You can hear snippets of this last track on their website (linked above), and begin your own journey into the four-stringed world - which appears to be almost a religion to their fans.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds utterly irristible :o) Who can, indeed, forget the haunting strains of 'Miss Dynamite' as rendered by massed ukeleles? Although for me the highlight of said album (you ARE a genius, by the way) was Ricky V Valentine's masterful lounge-style reworkings of such Gangsta (is that how you spell it??) classics as 'Straight Outta Compston' by NWA. Sublime. E x

1:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We enjoyed The Good The Bad and the Ugly a lot, and also the tuned ukuleles strummed in turn.... bit esoteric this if you haven't seen them. Oh it was all fabby. Have you seen the clip online from last year's Hootenanny? They are performing The Nirvana biggy......(is this a case of 'a medley of Nirvana's greatest hit'?)Hey ho! A fun night out.

8:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home