Friday, October 21, 2005

Mincemeat

I made some mincemeat at the weekend. It has to sit and fester for a bit now, but eventually I'll work my festive magic with a packet of pre-rolled pastry (eat that, Delia) and an icing sugar shaker and wow the world with my top notch (and, crucially, CANDIED PEEL FREE) mince pies.

Candied peel. Surely it is the devil's own earwax?

The mincemeat-making process was a late night affair. I baked the apples until they exploded (that bit is not in the recipe, strangely). And then, after dinner, I scraped all the apple pulp out of the inside of the cooker and mixed it with the ALCOHOL and other cruicial substances in a huge pot with a giant spoon. I'm sure it will all be fine. All I have to do now (it says here) is bung it in some jars and wait until Christmas. And drink the rest of the brandy, to help pass the time.

I'll have to palm some of the m/m off on poor unfortunates (or sell it to fellow candiedpeelphobes) since I seem to have made about half a ton of the stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

whats wrong with candied peel? I like it

2:34 pm  
Blogger OboeJane said...

IT IS THE DEVIL'S EARWAX.

BEGONE, FOOLISH ONES.

11:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the "candied" peels and itty-bitty fruit too. I would like to find a good recipe for m/m though.

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home